Wednesday, April 28, 2021

A Libby Kid

Another mid-century find from my childhood from Cory Doctorow:

I remember these products, just barely. My family didn't buy them, though we did buy TV dinners. I imagine we bought the cheap ones, rather than the over-packaged ones that had stuff for kids specifically. Or maybe I was just a bit too old by the time these came out (1972, when I would have been 12 or 13).

Now, I mostly notice the Bookman Swash typeface and the silly copy writing.

And it makes me think of one of my favorite remembered ad slogans from childhood, which was also for a Libby product. They had a mascot character for a time called Libby the Kid, who he ended his ads by saying, "I'm Libby the Kid! That's Billy the Kid spelled sideways. Sort of."

That always struck me funnier than it did anyone else.


No comments: