Thursday, February 7, 2019

Old Posters, New Posters

I was at a friend's house the other day and saw this World War II-era reproduction postcard in her kitchen:


I misread it as "The kitchen is the victory. Eat less bread." I just wasn't seeing that big key as part of the wording. And I also missed the small "to" tucked in below the pot in the woman's hands. Together those two things make it read as intended: "The kitchen is the key to victory. Eat less bread"... which makes a lot more sense.

Anyway, this postcard makes me think of all the 20th century war propaganda posters about Victory Gardens and the New Deal posters, so maybe it's time to start some Green New Deal posters, now that the GND bill has been introduced in the House and Senate.

Anyone working on that? Shall we get it going?

1 comment:

Michael Leddy said...

It looked a little dowdy for the ’40s, so I started looking: it’s a WWI poster from the UK. I too missed the key the first time.

New Green New Deal posters would be great.