Friday, January 26, 2018

Odd Logo, Old Log

I've been in the Twin Cities for a bit over 31 years now, and at some point long ago I heard of the Old Log Theater, an independent, professional theater in the western suburbs of Minneapolis. I know just about nothing about it, but a quick look at Google tells me it's the oldest, still-running professional theater in Minnesota.

I have no impression of it at all, though. Until today, when my eye fell upon an ad in the Star Tribune for their current show and I saw their logo:


Now, as logos go that use the shared letter approach, it's not the worst I've seen. At least I can read the words and I know what it says.

But  other than that, wow. What a bad logo. It tells you nothing about what kind of place it is or the type of theater experience you'll have there, except to imply it will be incompetent. They have a name that seems like it means something, but instead they've gone with a bunch of letters that look as though were shaken out of a Scrabble bag.

And the longer I look at it, the more I start seeing the word "dog" on the right, so I take back the part about it being readable. Even that doesn't work.


No comments: