Saturday, July 8, 2017

Goony Golf... Gone Soon

I'm sad to hear that Goony Golf, a local miniature golf course in Spring Lake Park, will be closing after this weekend. In my search for the best course in the area, I visited there in summer 2014 and never posted here about it, so today I have three-year-old photos for you.


The whole place is handmade and therefore charming, though the works lack something that would qualify them as museum-quality folk art.


At the same time, it's much more fun and creative than the average course.
























What is this thing? The name I gave the photo file is "weird cow thing."

It was clearly a labor of love to create all of these sculptures, and the course has been very well maintained. Cheers to the Hovanetz family for all of their work and care over the years.

I'm sorry to see it go, but I understand the need for people to move on to new phases of their lives. I'm happy to hear that affordably priced senior housing will replace it.

___

Past posts about miniature golf:

The best miniature golf course in Minnesota (from 2008)

Easter Island mini golf (from 2008)

The mini-golf test (from 2013)

Gnomes, mazes, and the master narrative (from 2013)

No comments: