Friday, May 17, 2013

Let's Define the Term

I have spent many years living in a neighborhood that is frequented by door-to-door canvassers. I have my feelings about canvassers, even though I also have sympathy for the colleges students who fall for the "make a difference this summer" posters.

But at some point you get tired of having your doorbell rung so you can be hit up for money, and eventually you consider a no-soliciting sign. Even then, some folks think it doesn't mean them, and in which case you have to go with something like this:

No soliciting sign with added note that says Before you ring this bell, think to yourself, 'Would a household with a no soliciting sign want you to ring this bell?'
The person who made the sign says she sometimes hears someone outside the door as they pause, laugh, and walk away.

But others still ring the bell.

____

It could be worse. You could post a set of directions like Tim Minchin's.

1 comment:

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Haha. I may have to try a "no solicitors and no causes because I'm supporting my own chosen bleeding-heart causes, thank you" sign.