Saturday, April 14, 2012

Now Hiring: Canvassers

It's that time of year again, when a young person's heart turns to summer jobs. Guess who's hiring?

Lime green poster taped to a light pole, reading GREAT JOBS GOOD CAUSES
That's right... canvassers. The folks who always manage to knock at your door during dinner and hail you as you head into the co-op.

I've griped about this before, and I don't really have a lot more to say than that, but I wanted to say once more that I can't stand the fact that canvassers have made me unwilling to answer my front door. When the doorbell rings, we have the habit of trying to glimpse the person outside to see if they're carrying a clipboard. If they are, we don't answer.

I hate this. As I said, if they were canvassing for political support, I wouldn't mind, aside from the occasional imposition on my time if I'm busy. But the fact that it's only about raising money annoys me to no end. The fact that I support their causes doesn't seem to matter at all if I don't give them money.

Most of which will go to pay the canvasser, in the hope that the group will have me on a list for the rest of my life. No thanks.

Here's a tweet from a while ago that I've been saving that says it all:

Screen shot of a Tweet reading Sometimes, when I don't want anyone to talk to me, I stand on a busy street corner with a clip board. By Tim Siedell



No comments: