Thursday, March 17, 2011

Jared Diamond vs. Jared, Seller of Diamonds

Photo of the entrance of Jared The Galleria of Jewelry, with a white diamond logo above the name
The Twin Cities is graced with several jewelry retail stores called Jared, which sell diamonds to unsuspecting people who want to get married. It seems they buy more ads on young-demographic radio stations than any other business.

I wonder how Jared Diamond feels about sounding like he's the go-to place for all your engagement needs?

When I Googled "jared," I got Jared, the Galleria of Jewelry.

When I added "diamond" to it, I got Jared Diamond, the person.

But when I added an "s" to make it "jared diamonds," I was back to Jared, the Galleria of Jewelry.

It amazes me how Google parses all of that instantaneously.

No comments: