Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Debate Number Three

I couldn't blog during the Tuesday night debate; had to timeshift it. Maybe it's just as well, though, because the content felt mostly like a retread of the first debate.

Just a few observations:

  • McCain said "my friends" 17 times, by my count.
  • Obama said McCain thinks he (Obama) is "green behind the ears." See my earlier post on this eggcorn.
  • I thought McCain showed a severe lack of self-awareness when he (twice) said he would provide a cool hand at the tiller. (Actually, the first time he said "cool," the second time he said "steady.") This from the man who was described this way by a Republican colleague, Thad Cochran of Mississippi, in the Boston Globe: "The thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine. He is erratic. He is hotheaded. He loses his temper and he worries me."
  • Not a single "maverick" from McCain. I guess that ship has sailed.

No comments: