Sunday, August 24, 2008

Andy Singer at the Black Dog

Visiting the St. Paul Farmers' Market this morning, I got the chance to drop into the Black Dog coffee house to see the Andy Singer exhibit. (For those who didn't read DN3 back in December 07, here's my older post on Andy.)

There are dozens of his "No Exit" cartoons up on the walls. They appear to have been selected to represent Andy's most political material (in honor of the upcoming Republican National Convention in St. Paul starting on Labor Day). There are a lot of good ones, but here are a couple that particularly appealed to me and that I could manage to photograph semi-decently.

Black and white cartoon of a man and woman driving over a cliff. They look very happy, and their car is filled with consumer goods
Sometimes I think I like his wordless work the best. This one is a good example of why.

Two panel cartoon titled History of Technology. At left, a caveman surrounded by nature, saying Me not happy! At right, a business man, surrounded by technology, saying Still not happy!
Then again, there are the ones with words! This makes me think of the work of Robert Costanza and the Genuine Progress Indicator, about which I've written earlier.

This Friday, starting at 5:00 p.m., Andy will be at the Black Dog, selling cartoons while they also sell posters from the Poster Offensive, which are on display on the other side of the room. I'm a little vague on how they're doing the sale exactly (and it's not particularly clear on the Black Dog website), but if you're interested, drop in and check it out. The Black Dog is at the corner of 4th and Broadway in Lowertown, right at the corner of the Farmers' Market.

The posters will be sold, but will remain on display for another couple of weeks. So if you don't get the chance to stop during the sale, you can still see them until the middle of September.

1 comment:

L. Marie said...

I love the cartoons. I got your comment on my blog Beija Flor. Was just stopping by to read what you had on yours. You have a good sense of humor. Enjoyed reading some of your posts though I'm going to be really self-conscious about my hyphens and quotation marks now :). hahaha! I'll live. --Lynn