Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Gem of the Ocean Art a Real Gem

I haven't seen the play, but I am absolutely in love with the poster art for August Wilson's Gem of the Ocean, which is playing at the Guthrie Theater.

If anyone wants to score points with me, snag me a copy of one of these babies, and I'll be eternally grateful. (Maybe one of those big bus stop posters that are up around town. Yeah, that would be good.)

Aqua blue water and golden sky, a giant black human figure is beneath the surface with just the top of the head acting as a rock for two small human figures.
This is just about a perfect image, both conceptually and in terms of execution. The color is dynamic, the textures add dimension and character, and the gargantuan figure, hidden beneath the water, is just riveting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Contact me at the Guthrie and I'll make sure you get a poster (melodieb@guthrietheater.org).

Daughter Number Three said...

Melodie--

Thanks! I will take you up on that. I'll be in touch early next week.

DN3