Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Church of Money

What used to be known as Twin City Co-ops Federal Credit Union has been renamed "Spire." Now, I agree that the old name was too long and I imagine it caused the bank all sorts of problems with people thinking they weren't eligible to be a member. Fine. Rename it, I have no problem with that.

Logo that has the word SPIRE with a cross-shaped star dotting the letter IBut the new name is pretty misguided, and the logo even more so. Check it out. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you see it? A Christian church, right? And even if you know it's a bank of some sort, you can't help thinking it's a Christian bank, like that one up in Elk River where they pray over you when you make a deposit.

To test the validity of my reaction to it, I asked a couple of preteens what type of business they thought the logo was for. "A church," they promptly answered. No prompting from me, I swear.

Did the credit union test this at all? Or just let the (probably in-house) graphics department do what they wanted? Or maybe it's the CEO's idea. Or a committee. Yeah, that's probably it.

To top it off, they came up with this amazingly inept slogan to accompany it:

Web ad that says One star service. You're the star.
One star, huh? Even if that star is supposed to be me, I can't get past the not-as-clever-as-the-writer-thinks-it-is diminutive star rating.

Sigh. And I'm going to have to look at this clueless stuff forever, since this is my bank.

1 comment:

David Steinlicht said...

"One star service." That's some funny stuff.