Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Kirk Lyttle

I've been reading the St. Paul Pioneer Press for...hmmm...at least 14 years, probably longer. And for much of that time I've looked forward to the illustration work of Kirk Lyttle. The graphic style he brings to his work is always fun to see. Here are a couple of samples that I've had in the filing cabinet for years -- one from 1995 and the other from 2001.

The 1995 illo is for an article called Mixed Marriages, but it's not what you think -- it's about vegetarians who marry meat-eaters. I love how he made use of animal archetypes without resorting to cliche, partly because the colors and angles in the picture just don't let it become one.

Kirk Lyttle illustration Mixed Marriages

The 2001 illustration is for an article called Everyday Zen. I didn't keep the article on this one, so I can't say what it was about exactly, except that at the time I thought the illustration fit it perfectly.

Kirk Lyttle illustration Everyday Zen

I may post a few more of Kirk's pieces in the future, but these two have been in the filing cabinet way too long. Time to get them out for some air.

1 comment:

Natalie S. said...

I was looking for some of Kirk Lyttle's pottery and found your blog. I, too, fell in love with the illustrations that Kirk Lyttle has done. He is truly a very gifted artist and we are so fortunate to have him for our SPPP. Cheers to Kirk! ;)