Friday, October 6, 2017

And Now for Something Completely Unimportant

This half-page ad ran in both the Pioneer Press and Star Tribune in the last day or so:


That's it — I didn't remove anything.

What is this ad for? At a glance, I see only the green and brown photo with its bearded professor guy and mid-century furniture and guess it's meant to promote a therapist with a big ad budget or maybe a furniture company, but I really have no idea.

After that first glance, I see the tiny, light headline (the wording of which makes perfect sense for a therapist, right?) and the AARP logo. Then I see the other logo, which I don't recognize, though I know the name Ameritrade, since they're an MPR sponsor.

So I guess it's an ad for financial consulting, as it says in the first sentence of body copy, but who the heck reads body copy on ads like this?

I wouldn't trust my financial future to someone whose ads are this incompetent. So that's my advice. Run away!

1 comment:

  1. At first I thought that the ad is likening the financial consultant to a therapist. There’s a couch.

    Then I thought, no, if the ad is about listening to listening to the client, well, here’s a client who likes to invest in mid-century-modern furniture. (There must be a special plan for that, eh?)

    And then I went back and forth between these interpretations. Not a good ad.

    I wish I had run away when I was getting the endless mailings asking me to join AARP. Money down the drain, as least for me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so don't be surprised when yours doesn't appear immediately. Please only submit once.