I thought this bit was particularly notable:
You are not the same as you were last year.If you want to subscribe to Maggie's list, you can do it here.
Every year, 98% of the atoms that make up your body are replaced, swapped out for fresh atoms. I learned this in What is Life?, a class team-taught by Logan McCarty and Andrew Berry. Where do the replacement atoms come from? According to Berry, we pick them up from the food we eat and, to a lesser extent, the air we breathe. Berry didn't discover this bit of molecular weirdness, but I do like the way he framed it. If you were to replace 98% of all the parts that made up a Ford Taurus, would it still be the same car? And, if not, what does that make you?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated, so don't be surprised when yours doesn't appear immediately. Please only submit once.