Saturday, December 27, 2008

Design Failure #327

Photo of a box with the letters spamist at the top. The spa letters are bolder than the mist letters
Yesterday, I was at Borders in Rosedale trying to help someone spend a gift card, and saw this package near the register.

I stopped instantly, perplexed. What's a Spamist? I wondered. Someone who really likes Spam? Someone who is prejudiced against Spam?

I suffered even greater confusion for just a split second when I saw the tag line -- "instant aromatherapy" -- thinking it emitted the aroma of Spam. And then it hit me: the label was meant to be read Spa Mist.

No Spam involved.

3 comments:

  1. I have a blog directory and think your blog would be a great addition to the list. If you would like your blog listed here for free visit us here

    I like that SPAMist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spa Mist. SpaMist. Spamist.

    Capitol letters, a space or a change in color would have made all-ll-ll the difference.

    I see that the designer used a change in type weight. It wasn't enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. !!! ah, the wafting odors of spam.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so don't be surprised when yours doesn't appear immediately. Please only submit once.