Saturday, August 8, 2026

Private Prisons Making Bank

It seems like most of the time when I catch news stories from National Public Radio, they are regurgitating some Trump regime press release. I generally don't listen to the national part of Morning Edition anymore for that reason. 

Today, though, I happened to catch this worthwhile story from Weekend Edition Saturday, which reported on recent earnings calls by the private prison companies CoreCivic and GEO Group. Big surprise! They are doing gang-busters business from the federal government and DHS. Thank you Congress for all of that money!

I came in as the reporter was saying that the (illegal) use of ankle monitors on Haitians who've had Temporary Protected Status revoked means lots more business for the companies. 

Then I heard that CoreCivic has sold four prison buildings to DHS for $307,000 per bed, and will still be paid to operate the prisons, I'm sure at some exorbitant rate. (GEO Group also has plans to sell prisons to the feds.)

Then I heard about the ways members of the Trump regime, including Trump himself, have personal financial interests in these companies.

So good job, NPR, for once.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, so don't be surprised when yours doesn't appear immediately. Please only submit once.