Thursday, August 27, 2026

Letting the Shooter Go in Texas

Late yesterday, a Trump-appointed judge refused to force Texas Governor Greg Abbott to sign extradition papers for the ICE officer who shot through a door in North Minneapolis back in January, injuring one man and endangering children and other people in the house. 

As I wrote a few days ago, this is an ominous sign of our country's devolution

Abbott pretends he is "carefully considering" whether the shooter, Christian Castro, is legally to be considered a fugitive under the Constitution's extradition clause. The judge gave the supposed reasoning that 90 days was not enough for Abbott to figure that question out... even though Abbott said at a press conference that his real reasons are clearly based on animus against Minnesota.

It is established that Castro, the newly released shooter, has discussed moving to Mexico to be with a woman he's romantically involved with, so he's an obvious flight risk. Normally, I would say Minnesota has a better chance of extraditing him from Mexico than Texas, but I guess that has to involve the federal government, so probably not. 

I hope there's still a legal way to compel his return and overrule this stupid decision because unlike the current regime, I'm a fan of keeping this country intact and functional for the betterment of all.

No comments: