I didn't look into the second Pennsylvania environment builder very much before deciding to go there during my recent road trip. (Daughter Number Three-Point-One scouted it from Atlas Obscura.)
The Beasts of Beaver Meadow is farther off the beaten path than Bill Rhodes People Friendly Garden, at least from the direction we were coming from. We traveled some almost-back roads to get there, and I wasn't sure online maps would stay with us the whole way across rural Pennsyvania, so I had written the directions down. They consisted of "this road becomes this road becomes this road," then "turn right then left at this area that's very hard to describe"... and things like that. So I'm glad the 5G or LTE or whatever it was stayed in place well enough the whole time.
We eventually found the Beasts at 1200 Berwick Street in Beaver Meadows. They aren't that far east of I-81 and the substantial city of Hazelton, but we were coming from the southeast, so the shortest way was a circuitous route.
The Beasts were created by Joseph Woitko from concrete, glass, car parts, and other found objects, so classic outsider artist work.
Woitko is clearly into the macabre. There were a lot of skulls:
Other pieces were hard to interpret (not that that's necessary):He frequently use some molds with his concrete work, like the ice cream cones in this castle (I think it's a castle):
I didn't see everything (for instance, I just realized there are pieces on the opposite side of the road).
As a side note, the steep and somewhat treacherous slope on the woodsy, shaded ground was covered with sweet woodruff, a nice ground cover. I've never seen so much of it on one location:
All in all, it has more of a haunted feel — whether that's intentional or not.











No comments:
Post a Comment