Tuesday, October 15, 2024

One Cancer Cure

This was mentioned in my September Twitter round-up: a Scottish study, which followed women born between 1988 and 1996 who were fully vaccinated against HPV at ages 12 and 13, found not a single case of cervical cancer among them. 

That was 40,000 women, and the findings held even if they received only one or two doses rather than the recommended three. For women who were older (14–22) and received three doses, the HPV rate was still cut by more than half.

I saw this news (again) today in the BlueSky feed of writer Ada Palmer, and one of her respondents added this bit of awesomeness:

My dad's sister-in-law developed the vaccine, she considers it her life's work. Every new article I see with a new longitudinal study I send along, just so she can have one more to brag about!

You never know what you'll see in the comments on BlueSky. It's an entirely different experience from Twitter.


No comments: