Friday, April 19, 2024

Greenwashing in Stainless Steel

Tesla has recalled all 3,878 cybertrucks sold, because the accelerator pedal cover can slide off so the pedal sticks under the floor mat. Which means, of course, the truck is literally going pedal to the metal, unintentionally.

I saw a video of a cybertruck owner describing how this happened to him. He had the presence of mind to realize he could stop by jamming his foot on the brake, and then putting the thing into park. 

(I've also read that you can't take cybertruck through a car wash without voiding the warranty, but I'm not sure if that's true.)

Anyway, 3,878 is not very many units sold in a country this large, especially when a lot of them are probably around Silicon Valley, so I was surprised when my other half reported he had seen one on the streets of Saint Paul the other day:

I don't know about you, but I don't see an upside to paying more for a new roof in order to subsidize someone's Elon obsession. (And the only "eco" in this company's roofing appears to be carbon offsets through donations to a tree-planting organization.)

Better get that hunk of stainless steel turned in for the recall, people.


No comments: