Friday, March 22, 2024

Quantity Over Quality

I read through this list of things that don't work from substacker dynomight (thanks to Edith Zimmerman on kottke.org), and among many that resonated, found one in particular that really warmed my heart:

Quality over quantity. I often worry that I write too much on this blog. After all, the world has a lot of text. Does it need more? Shouldn’t I pick some small number of essays and really perfect them?

Arguably, no. You’ve perhaps heard of the pottery class where students graded on quantity produced more quality than those graded on quality. (It was actually a photography class.) For scientists, the best predictor of having a highly cited paper is just writing lots of papers. As I write these words, I have no idea if any of this is good and I try not to think about it.

Sometimes I wonder about scrabbling to post here every day. This endorsement gives me strength to go on.


No comments: