Saturday, November 21, 2020

Despairing

Speaking of corrosive, I've seen a bit of first-hand evidence on Facebook. 

Two different acquaintances made reality-based posts about Mafia Mulligan's attempt to nullify the election. In response, many of their friends replied with various comments in general agreement. 

But each thread had one or two people who disagreed completely, and on each thread one of those people went on and on in multiple lengthy comments, parroting all of the conspiracy theories that are now being put out by Giuliani et al. to support Mulligan's attempt. The person I know responded to them and attempted to explain some of the facts and legal findings in the cases, but to no avail.

I'm not including the reasoned responses to them, only their crazytown.

 From the first thread:

I love how folks like this often accuse people who disagree with them of not reading broadly and not doing "research." They've all but ruined that word.

From the second thread:

What could anyone say to people like these two that would make a difference? I despair that there is anything but literal cult deprogramming. Oh, and hey, that reminds me — did you know that last Wednesday was the 42nd anniversary of the Jonestown Massacre?

_______

Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd search "cult deprogramming" to see what turned up in Duck Duck Go. This is the top (paid) hit:

 

 

1 comment:

Michael Leddy said...

“Do your own research” seems to be a mantra with adherents of that high-letter-value-in-Scrabble conspiracy. Don’t worry about how to evaluate what you find.