Sunday, May 24, 2020

Not What I Intended

As a gardener, I sometimes curse the rabbits under my breath, but I don't wish them all dead. I learned today from the Science section of the Star Tribune that there's a virus outbreak killing domestic and wild rabbits in six states so far, and I feel just a bit guilty about whether I brought it on through my constant dissing of our lagomorph friends.

According to Science magazine, the hemorrahagic disease RHDV2 is extremely infectious and persists in the body of a dead animal for up to three months. Predators and insects also spread it through their feces.

It was first seen in North America in domestic rabbits in 2018 and in wild species just a few months ago in March 2020, right around the time we were busy with another virus, which is probably why I haven't heard about it until now. It's on the move across the country, it seems.


Maybe the eastern cottontails that live in my yard and many other places are not long for this world, and their loss or great decrease in population will have many effects on the plants they eat and the other creatures that eat them.

No comments: