Tuesday, December 3, 2019

$20 as It Should Be

I recently traded a regular $20 bill for one that had been overprinted by a letterpress artist with an image of Harriet Tubman:


I was originally planning to identify the artist in this post and tell about some of their other work, but when I tried to open my photo of the altered bill in Photoshop to resize and crop it, the program refused to open the image, admonishing me that it could not be used for images of currency. (Note: you can crop on your iPhone with no problem.)

So maybe it would be better for me not to identify the artist and just quietly let this bill go into circulation. The artist told me they had checked to make sure that the printing didn't affect the bill's value as legal tender. If there were justice in the world, it would increase its value.

No comments: