Sunday, November 17, 2019

It's Easier If You Don't Care

I really don't talk about John Scalzi that much, but I just saw him post a reaction to this tweet:


And I'm less interested in his answer than in my own, self-centered as that may seem. Because I realized I don't have any of those goals, except the sleep part, and I'd alter it to 7 or maybe 7.5 hours.

Okay, maybe I wish I had a good social life, but I know myself well enough by now that I'm okay with the fact that mine is what it is. I'm post-career and I can't imagine wanting to "have" that anymore, if I ever did (though I did have a job that I worked pretty hard at).

I don't try to exercise unless it's gardening season and then that's not exercise, it's gardening. I'm not trying to eat right particularly; I actually like foods that happen to be more healthful. And hobbies... I guess my blog is a hobby that I manage to keep up with, and gardening is a hobby, that's true. So I guess I do have some hobbies. They just don't seem like hobbies because I do them so much. And this list doesn't even mention volunteering, or maybe that's just another hobby?

Not having kids at home helps a lot with any of these. So recognizing that there's a trade-off between the joy of parenting and just about everything else is probably a healthy realization to make before it's too late.

But yeah, the sleep part. I wish I could do better at that.


No comments: