Sunday, August 18, 2019

A Really Bad Book Cover

I usually enjoy the now-retro book covers that Cory Doctorow shares on Twitter. One of his main sources is a Tumblr called jell-o biafra says, and this was a recent post there:


It's not so enjoyable to be reminded of the gross and maladaptive view of women that pervaded and still pervades society, though I'm sure Cory (and the originator on Tumblr) was sharing it ironically.

One positive thing I can say about the cover is that it shows not all of the commercial artwork of the past was technically well-done. There's not a single good thing about this design: the type is bad, the color is sickly, and the drawing is... just... wow. I'm trying to imagine how it could have been approved. Maybe it was done by the publisher's kid? I can't figure out how Miss One-eyed, Stick-limbed, Hand-and-footless, Bubble-butted, Shoulder-pad-boobs ever got to press.

No comments: