Sunday, February 10, 2019

More on the Buzz-Kill

I haven't had any headaches since starting that carbonation-inhibiting, migraine-preventing drug, but yesterday I felt the familiar, if a bit duller than usual, throb on one side of my head as evening came on. I thought I'd sleep on it and see if went away, but at 6:30 a.m. it was still there.

So I got up to take an Imitrex. This was not as simple as you might think (see more below) and I was trying to take the pill in the dark. That was a no-go; I eventually had to turn on the lights.

Once I managed to get the infernal foil contraption open and took the pill, the headache died down after an hour or so and I went about my day. As I went to bed last night, I wondered if the headache would come back in the morning or not. This morning I felt it slightly murmuring on the same side and faced a familiar dilemma: should I take the Imitrex again or not? Knowing that the headache is always at its least in the morning, while I lie in bed, before time, exertion, and daylight encourage it. If I don't take a pill, will it get worse? I don't have any idea. Will it come back again tomorrow? I don't have any idea. Knowing that the whole point of taking the new daily medication is so that I won't take the Imitrex as often.

It's frustrating. And still the bubbles taste like nothing.

__

A note on Imitrex packaging:

Imitrex is sold in units of nine pills. I have always assumed this is because you're not supposed to take it very often and because it's fairly expensive, even as a generic, so you're limited to nine per month. But I'm not sure either of those things accounts for the specific way it's packaged:


One side of the packaging is heavy foil and the other is paper. To use it, you tear off one pill along the perforations and then a single corner can be peeled up to remove the paper backing, leaving just a thinner layer of foil in the center, which allows you to press the pill through:


It's a lot of waste for one little pill (less than a third of an inch wide) that I'm not sure needs to be controlled quite so much. And a lot of effort to put onto a person suffering from a possibly blinding headache. Or who's trying to open it in the dark, as I was.

1 comment:

Michael Leddy said...

Pat, I hope your headaches scram, and soon.

That kind of packaging is ridiculous, and the smaller the pill, the more difficult the job of getting it out (Xyzal, I’m looking at you.) At one point I wondered whether such packaging is meant to forestall impulsive overdoses (buying time as someone gets out pill after pill and maybe begins to reconsider). But there are too many dangerous prescription and OTC drugs sold without such packaging to make my guess a good one.