Saturday, October 13, 2018

The Hillman Prize and Sidney Award

There's an update on Hannah Dreier's ProPublica/This American Life audio story called The Runaways (which I wrote about here): She won the October 2018 Sidney Award, which is given for socially conscious journalism. I hope the award means a lot more people will listen to the story. Looking through the past winners, I see lots of stories I remember from when they were published. Good work, people. You're doing the job of journalism.

The award is named for Sidney Hillman and given by the Hillman Foundation, which was created in 1946 to honor the founder and leader of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America. The foundation also has given a Hillman Prize in several media categories since 1950. The winning book for 2018, for instance, is Richard Rothstein's The Color of Law (which I have previously recommended here and here).

If you're looking for good reading on a range of topics, I recommend using these prize lists as a guide.

No comments: