Sunday, September 16, 2018

Dutch Words that Are Funny to Me

Yes, I know it's my ignorance speaking, but there are Dutch words that are funny to me as an English speaker.


Parking in front of this church is reserved for ceremonie wagens only. I assume this means hearses? Does it include the limos or other vehicles that might used by wedding couples? Not sure.

Then there are the gang signs. Gang signs everywhere!






That last one, I know, means "entrance" (ingoing, perhaps, would be a literal translation), but I am still amusing myself thinking about what doorgang and toegang might mean.


Not sure what this one means, either, but I think it might be Smack Masters, or maybe Snack Masters, given the context in the storefront.


And this sign for warm chocolate milk (which is the same thing as hot chocolate, perhaps?) contains my favorite word of all: slagroom. What do you think it means? I'll wait while you think... then scroll down for the answer.











It's whipped cream.

2 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

“Slagroom” — aha, like “mit schlag.”

I wondering what ”Met of zonder” could mean.

Daughter Number Three said...

It means "with or without"... of = or. Very odd (to this English speaker) that with and without are not constructed in parallel.