Sunday, August 5, 2018

Ten Equations on the "Real Racist"

Here are some helpful equations from Guilaine Kinouani, an intersectional feminist therapist from the U.K.:

I have come to realise white people often confuse the feeling evoked when racism is discussed with racism in this sequence/equations.

Equation 1:
We are talking about racism > I am feeling bad > you are making me feel bad while talking about racism > you are the real racist.

Equation 2:
I do not want to examine my racism > you are making me examine my racism > it is making me feel bad > you are oppressing me right now > you are the real racist.

Equation 3:
I have never been concerned with race > you are saying you are concerned with race > you’re telling me people cannot just people > you are obsessed with race > you are the real racist.

Equation 4:
You are telling I am racist > I am a nice person > you are making a nice person feel bad > you are bullying me > you are bullying me because I am white > you are the real racist.

Equation 5:
You are taking about white privilege > I do not *feel* privilege > I therefore I do not have white privilege > you insisting that I do upsets me > you are upsetting me because I am white > you are the real racist.

Equation 6
You are making me think about structural racism and asking me do look at my complicity > I feel powerless > but you still won’t trust that I do my best > you are lumping all white people together > you are the real racist.

Equation 7
You are calling me white > it makes me feel weird > no one ever calls me white > I feel harassed > you are harassing me > you are harassing me because I am white > you are the real racist.

Equation 8
You are focusing on the experiences of people of color/safe spaces > why can’t you focus on everyone/welcome everyone > everyone I know focuses on everyone > you are making feel excluded > you are the real racist.

Equation 9
I said sorry because I said something racist > you still feel hurt > you won’t just let go > you won’t let go because you have a problem with white people > it was never about what I did but because I am white > you are the real racist.

Equation 10
You keep using the word race > races are socially constructed categories that do not exist > you are reinforcing those categories > you adhere to racism > you are the real racist.

Last one as a gift:
You are calling out racism > calling out racism makes white people more racist > you are increasing racism in this society then blaming white people > you are the real racist.
I've heard or read many of these bits of reasoning (so-called), but not recognized the way they work quite so clearly. I appreciate Guilaine formulating this list for later use.

No comments: