Monday, August 7, 2017

A New Name for Trump

I have a new name for Trump, now that I can no longer use my original one (Turnip):

IMPOTUS!

Isn't that perfect? For the record, I didn't make it up; it's a Twitter hashtag.

This whole POTUS (president of the United States), FLOTUS (first lady of the United States), SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States) acronym thing used to annoy me, but I've gotten used to it.

I thought it was a recent phenomenon brought on by the need to abbreviate in tweeting and texting, but according to Merriam-Webster, the -OTUS suffix comes from telegraphy and goes back to 1879 for the Supreme Court and 1895 for the president. FLOTUS got started as the Secret Service code name for Nancy Reagan.

While we're on the topic, be sure to look up what the acronym GOAT means, if you don't already know.

No comments: