Monday, October 17, 2016

The Headless Bride

I saw this illustrated sign over the weekend:


And maybe it's just me, but I first interpreted the image as if the white part at left was a head and shoulders and the pinkish stuff at the top left was hair, kind of like this:


See how it can look a bit like Pippi Longstocking? Or am I out of my mind?

But within a second or two I realized that it was actually a headless bride, and there was also a receding groom hiding behind that huge, detailed flower bouquet at right. (The light blue type also receded on first look, so I didn't get the wedding reference from that, either.)

Once I realized what it was, I found I couldn't bring back my initial vision of it. Adding these simplified facial features helps me flip it back again to my original interpretation.

Do you see the way it can be either a face with hair or a body with no head?
__

Just for fun, here are two of the most famous ambiguity illusions:





1 comment:

Michael Leddy said...

I immediately saw a headless bride, but then again, I had already read the post title. To my eyes, the added face turns the gown into a happy tooth.