Monday, September 19, 2016

Keep Your Paws to Yourself

Appropriating Native American regalia for a human person's Halloween costume is bad enough, but this is... words fail me:


(As seen in the most recent Parade magazine.)

The copy reads in part, "Wearing his majestic ceremonial headdress with pride and casting an all-knowing, green-eyed stare your way, 'Chief Runs with Paws' is the chosen guardian of the spirit world...and the mysterious secrets held within."


Ironically, each cat ($29.99 plus $8.99 shipping) comes with a certificate of authenticity

I couldn't find a photo of what the 4.5" figurine actually looks like, but in searching, I did find out the cat is part of a larger set of "chief" animal figurines: Chief Barks a Lot, Chief Little Paws... Since there are only two dogs and one cat on offer currently, I imagine more will be on the way. What do we have to look forward to? Chief Slobber No More, Chief Drinks from the Sink, Chief Begs for a Bone...

As my sisters and I used to say to each other when we were kids, keep your paws to yourself, Hamilton Collection designers.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Yeah, I saw this ad and had a good, disgusted snort. For one thing, getting a cat to stand still long enough to dress it like that is impossible. I know. I used to try to dress my cat in doll's clothes and sustained the wrath of her claws as a result. I've been trying to think of what they'd call one with an elephant....