Thursday, June 23, 2016

A Moment of Transition

I use Google Images all the time. I'm not just looking for an example of what something looks like; sometimes I'm also looking for confirmation that there's a consensus on what something looks like.

Yesterday the University of North Dakota launched a logo for its recently renamed sports teams. They used to be the Fighting Sioux, but (not surprisingly) they were forced to change by the NCAA. A while ago, they chose the name Fighting Hawks, and yesterday was the day the Fighting Hawks got a new look. 

But when you search Google Images for North Dakota Fighting Hawks, you get something like this:


Not one of those is the new logo, as you might suspect. The one at top left is the old logo. Some of the others might have been officially in the running, while several clearly were not (ahem, especially the befeathered penis or the Third Reich wannabe).

This is the real logo:


I heard a description of it on MPR this morning, something about a stylized hawk head and angular letters. The story said people either love it or hate it. I have no feelings about it. It seems better than many sports logos, but I'm not the audience. I figure if anyone hates it, they really are just hating the  change of overall identity.

But it was fun to find myself in the middle of a transition moment, when the interweb hasn't yet figured out what's real. I wonder how many days or weeks it will take for that same search to return mostly images of the official logo?

I give it a week.

1 comment:

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

So of course I had to test your theory. It's going to take a bit longer for the real logo to rise to the forefront. Meanwhile I keep seeing middle-aged white guys wearing their Fighting Sioux t-shirts.