Saturday, February 6, 2016

Selfish Women

Just got this catalog in the mail the other day:


I don't like a thing about it, of course: not the textbook feminized pose (head cant, bent knee, off-balance stance, licensed withdrawal gaze, feminine touch) and not the alliterative title (Soft Surroundings...is that a euphemism for a padded room?). I don't even like the merrily burning candles marching down the steps, waiting to catch the edge of the model's long, diaphanous blouse.

But the thing that gets me the most is the tag line: my time. my place. my self.

My, my, my, aren't women selfish? This isn't the first time I've noted the use of "my" in messages meant to appeal to women. Who decided we would see ourselves (our selves, in tag line parlance) in that word?

All I can do is remove "my self" from their mailing list and toss this junk in the recycling.

No comments: