Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Gish Gallop

Last spring, I mentioned a Nightly Show panel discussion on vaccines. It aired as that story was cresting with the measles outbreak at Disneyland. One panelist was a strident anti-vaxxer, and I wrote at the time:

one of the panelists was a spewer of misinformation, and the medical doctor chosen to represent the science-based side wasn't up to the task of challenging her. In my opinion, it is irresponsible to give deluded people a national megaphone.
Well, I recently learned there's a term for the tactic this panelist used, and that it's generally popular with anti-science and pseudo-science speakers and debaters. It's called a Gish Gallop, named for creationist Duane Gish and coined by Eugenie Scott, director of the National Center for Science Education.

I learn something new every day.



1 comment:

Gina said...

Donald Trump's "Gish Gallop" score must be off the charts! Ben Carson is probably not far behind.