Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Grip Here Firmly

When I was promoted from second to third grade and found out who my teacher would be the next year, I was afraid. Mrs. H. was said to have a red wooden paddle an inch thick.

I never saw that paddle the next year, let alone witnessed its use. Maybe the story I had heard was a case of child mythologizing, or maybe Mrs. H. didn't mind that she had a reputation as a harsh disciplinarian.

I don't know. But here's a paddle I just found in my basement that makes it clear hitting your kids used to be considered a joke-worth matter:


In case that dusty thing is hard to read, it says:

Grip here firmly in case of frustration [on the handle]

For the cute little deer with the bear behind [on the paddle, accompanied by cartoon paintings of a bear and deer]
How times have changed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

if you still have this, i would like to buy it

Daughter Number Three said...

I'm not sure where it is. I think I just took a photo of it at the time, while clearing out stuff.