Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Future White House Occupant?

In January 2001, Garry Trudeau gave us this Doonesbury Sunday comic:



This was around the time of George W. Bush's inauguration, and so the senator referred to at the end must be Al Gore.

But reading it these days, when I found it filed away, all yellowed and a bit crumpled, I immediately thought the senator was Hilary Clinton, which is actually much funnier.

Except that she wasn't a senator yet then. Imagine if it had said, instead, "I don't doubt it, Mrs. Clinton."

I like it better already.


2 comments:

Carl said...

The comic was about Hillary. She was elected to the Senate in 2000.

Daughter Number Three said...

Ah, jeez, Carl... my recent history memory is messing with me. I could have sworn she ran after she was no longer First Lady, but you're right, she was elected in the November 2000 race, so it is here that Trudeau is referring to.