Sunday, July 20, 2014

Thermostat of My Dreams

You know how people say, "It's not rocket science"? After years of working in commercial buildings where the temperature is either too hot or too cold, I became fond of saying, "HVAC* is rocket science." It must be, since it never seems to be done correctly.

While traveling recently, though, I saw one element of HVAC that's finally being done right. Here's one of the hotel thermostats I had to use:


Note how simple it is. You press the red up arrow to make it warmer, the blue down arrow to make it colder. You can turn the fan off and on. You can change it to Celsius if you are so inclined. And you can turn it off all together.

That's it. I love this thing in a hotel setting, where users will have no time or interest in becoming familiar with the interface and have no need to program it for temperature changes during the day and evening.

____

* Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning.

No comments: