Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Freeze Frames

I spend a not-insubstantial amount of my time watching two shows on MSNBC (Chris Hayes and Melissa Harris Perry) and two on Comedy Central (the Daily Show and the Colbert Report).

It's not uncommon for me to have to freeze one of the shows while it's running, and I began to notice that the freeze frames were often unflattering to the subjects.

I'll bet there are entire websites on this topic, but here are my entries.


Here, Chris Hayes doesn't look that funny (although there is the resemblance to Mr. Peabody) but the juxtaposition of Rand Paul's expression and gesture amused me.


At left and right are two guests from one of the MSNBC shows. At center, Jon Stewart expressing outrage.


Ezra Klein looks bereft; Stewart surprised or alarmed. And an unfortunate blink from an MSNBC guest (I think she's from Emily's List).


Finally, Ari Melber, who subbed for Melissa Harris Perry a few times, has the strong gestures down. In this case, though, he seems like he might be indicating that he's crazy.


1 comment:

Michael Leddy said...

I’ve noticed similar problems getting screenshots from movies. I wonder if we see faces in a way that filters out these strange little changes.