Friday, November 16, 2012

Kirk Lyttle: Grace Under Fire

It's been a while since I've heaped any praise on Pioneer Press illustrator Kirk Lyttle, one of a few reasons I still subscribe to the increasingly strident, right-wing newspaper that covers our capital city. The other reasons are economics columnist Ed Lotterman and David Steinlicht's In This Corner cartoon. Oh, and Hilary Price's Rhymes with Orange and Dan Piraro's Bizarro comics, too. I appreciate Julio Ojeda-Zapata and Ruben Rosario, as well, but it seems as though neither one writes very frequently, Rosario for obvious reasons.

But I digress. The subject was Kirk Lyttle.

Front of the Pioneer Press Eat section with large colorful art of a pilgrim-dressed woman with a huge rictus grin and bug eyes chopping a pumpkin with a meat cleaver
Yesterday's illustration is a cheeky mix of subversive feminism and artistic talent. I couldn't help laughing at Polly pilgrim's crazed expression and how perfectly it captures the feeling I've had when  cooking for a crowd.

Completely undermining the headline (unless her name is Grace, I don't see any grace in this image), the art also pokes fun at the year-in, year-out tradition of newspapers writing up the same damned story about Thanksgiving preparations.

A+ for Kirk Lyttle this Thanksgiving.