Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tabs, You're It

A few morsels of media goodness that have been hiding out in my browser tabs lately:

Who's picking, packing, and shipping that thing you bought online? Folks like this, in conditions like these.
_____

A couple of word/image combinations I saw recently that I would have filed away in a drawer if I was still filing things:

Obama photo with quote explaining that religions need to make their cases in secular society

Banksy explains why advertising can't expect to be unassailed in the world

Guess I could have put them on Facebook, but I made a vow not to post word/image combinations there.
____

And this beautiful bit of time-lapse video via Science Friday:



Also viewable here in case that embed doesn't work. It's ice melting and changing as seen through polarized glass (if I understood the photographer correctly).
____

Plus a fun bit of writing about the politics of Ellen Raskin's novels.

____

And Mother Jones's take on street photographer Vivian Maier. Since I already knew about Maier, what I like best about this piece is its focus on John Maloof, the guy who found her negatives and has been scanning them and bringing them to the world.

____

By the way, have I ever mentioned that I used to absolutely hate the word browser, when used in the context of the interweb? It felt so artificial, so much as though it were consciously coined. And worst of all, browser already had a meaning, which has now been washed away. But whenever I would hear it used back in the mid-1990s, I couldn't help picturing a person casually looking through books in the old Odegard's store in Uptown (Minneapolis).

It makes me sad that I use the word now without thinking about it at all.

1 comment:

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Oh my, the story about shipping warehouses is distressing. Once again, I was not aware. I think I'll be writing letters to Amazon and checking on Zappo's.