Monday, March 26, 2012

Steve at the Theater

The Twin Cities have some nice historic theaters -- the Heights, the Uptown, the Surburban World, the Grandview, and the Highland.

The St. Anthony Main theater isn't historic or particularly interesting from an architectural standpoint. It's a 1980s addition to a repurposed historic building, one of those inside-the-city shopping malls that were popular for a while but now are mostly full of offices instead of stores.

It has five screens and appears to be limping along by showing a mix of first-run, international, and almost-art films, plus housing the Film Society of Minneapolis/St. Paul.

But my favorite thing about the St. Anthony Main is the painting of Steve Buscemi tucked away on the second floor, near the unused satellite refreshment counter:

Painting of Steve Buscemi
Not what I was expecting to see when I came out of the theater and went the wrong way.

2 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

I've been to all of those theaters except the Suburban World. I really prefer those theaters without stadium seating. I like to sit in the back, but hate climbing up and down all those stairs. (I wonder what's the story behind the Buscemi
painting!)

Daughter Number Three said...

It's sad that the Suburban World is now an unsuccessful events center. Not sure it's even in use right now.

I saw A Room with a View there when I first moved to the area in 1986 or so. It was so beautifully attuned to the Italian settings in the film.