Monday, June 6, 2011

Half a Head

A friend and fellow grammar curmudgeon alerted me to this advertising mishap on the back cover of the most recent Minnesota Monthly (shown here in comparison with the same ad on Mpls St Paul magazine):

Covers of Minnesota Monthly and Mpls St Paul magazines

Back covers with same Target ad. The Minnesota Monthly version is missing the second line of the headline so the ad makes no sense
That's a pretty big oops, which I'm sure Target didn't appreciate. I'm still trying to figure out how it could have happened, from a technical standpoint.

It's probably a good thing it wasn't a product ad, though. The general concept of the ad still comes through.

I wonder if most readers realize the error happened in printing (or, more accurately, in prepress) and proofing? Or do they think Target is responsible?

1 comment:

Peter Hoh said...

I'm not sure I like the graphic header. As a rule, the text that stands out should be able to stand on its own. "Learning to Life" doesn't pass that test.