Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hooking Up?

While visiting Daughter Number 4 a few weeks ago during the Rally to Restore Sanity, I told her I was hoping to hook up with some old friends from college, who I knew would be attending the rally.

DN4 told me it probably wasn't a good idea to use the phrase "hook up" around her teenagers, since it has an, ahem, alternate meaning these days. (Kind of like the way "lay with" is used in the Bible.)

I was aware of this usage (hey, I have a teenager, too!), but I have to admit I still occasionally use it in the old-fashioned, general way. But I promised not to say it around her kids, and I know she's right that it's likely to be misconstrued by others as well.

So imagine my amusement when I saw this quarter-page ad a few days ago in the Pioneer Press:

Newspaper ad with large headline GET HOOKED UP along with photo of pretty young woman with a golf club
The ad, created by the PiPress's in-house advertising department, is meant to promote its online advertising service Daily Deals. Or is it meant to promote an illicit meeting with a nubile young woman?

And what does golfing have to do with it?

No comments: