Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Sign, Sign, Sign, Tangent

My own daughter number one checks a site called i-am-bored.com on a daily basis, often with amusing results. Here are a few signs from one of the site's recent posts.

Sign reading Fresh Pet Meat
Yum.

Triangle red and white warning sign reading Red Squirrels Drive slowly
I love the little hand-drawn steering wheel. (Probably because I didn't see it at first.)

Sign along a railing overlooking a picturesque building reading Racism & Outside Food Not Allowed
???

There were plenty more where these came from.

Another photo that was included was this:

Sign reading Colton High School commited to high standards
And I chuckled.

But then I thought, I wonder where that school is? And in looking around, I found there are Colton High Schools in Oregon, Washington and California. A little further investigation, and I found this post on growabrain.typepad.com, which included a different photo taken by the blogger, in which the sign is spelled correctly:

The same sign reading Sign reading Colton High School committed to high standards
It's clearly the same side of the building, based on the open-framed roof in both shots -- although those are definitely not the same bushes along the bottom edge... taken in different years, perhaps? So either the school replaced the sign, or someone has been using their copy of Photoshop for nefarious purposes.

Another fine example of why photography has lost whatever evidential validity it ever had.

No comments: