Monday, June 1, 2009

Changing Tiny Tim

I've posted before about the strange iconography of diaper-changing tables, mostly ones I saw while on a cross-country drive. When you stay close to home you see a lot of the same design over and over (in the Twin Cities, that consists of various Koala Bear Kare iterations).

So I was happy to see a different design at the Walker Art Museum last weekend:

Beige changing table with red letters and a black line drawing of a baby with arms out, curly forelock of hair
I couldn't help noticing how much the baby resembled the drawing of Tiny Tim from Mr. Magoo's Christmas:

Screen grab of cartoon Tiny Tim sitting by the fire with his crutch
I will now refrain from making a bad pun involving God Bless Us, Every One!

3 comments:

elena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elena said...

Love this, and your earlier archive of baby changing stations. "Changing the baby" has always seemed to be a curious phrase. This little WAC baby is utterly submissive and trusting (and totally voiceless: Tiny Tim on the diaper board is all eyes, the perfect cooperative changeling). I would love to know how this particular fixture was chosen at the Walker: did the icon factor into the decision at all? Did they decide against the ubiquitous Koala Bear for aesthetic reasons?

Daughter Number Three said...

Actually, I find the Koala design better than most. I agree it would be interesting to see what motivated the WAC's choice. And whether price had anything to do with it...