Friday, April 10, 2009

Mein Kat

Once again, I had one of those moments where something I had thought was unique to my family and personal history turns out to be an internet meme. I don't know whether to love it or hate it.

When I was a child, one of the many cats we had was a black and white mutt with a little black spot under his nose. He had a mean personality, and so somebody in the family started calling him Hitler.

Well, it turns out, of course, that there is an entire website devoted to cats that look like Hitler.

Photos of two black and white cats each with a little black mustache
It goes without saying that all the cats shown on the site have little "mustaches," but these two "kitlers" were my favorites -- the first one because of its angled "bangs," and the second because of the incongruous combination of fat cat, dour expression, and Alfalfa hairdo.

The site has pages listing responses both for and against the site's very existence, which I think is a first for any site I've seen. It's definitely a bit odd to live in a society that can create a joke out of animals resembling one of the biggest mass murderers of all time.

But at the same time, it seems to me that laughing at cats that look like Hitler diminishes Hitler, rather than lionizing him. (No pun intended.)

1 comment:

Ms Sparrow said...

Thanks for the laugh!