Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sin of Admission

Minnesota Daily nameplate
I love the Minnesota Daily (the newspaper of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities), really I do. It's a great campus institution, and it's perpetually judged to be among the best student newspapers in the country. I am very sad that they are turning their Friday edition to web-only, due to lack of advertising.

But my inner grammar cop couldn't help blowing the whistle when my eye fell on this headline (set in something like 48 point type) on the Daily's editorial page today:

"The Daschle blunder: Obama’s admittance sets him on the right path after reneging on his campaign promise."

Admittance? Admittance?

I try to keep my grammar cop happy with a supply of doughnuts (not donuts), but it doesn't always work.

No comments: