Saturday, December 27, 2008

Design Failure #327

Photo of a box with the letters spamist at the top. The spa letters are bolder than the mist letters
Yesterday, I was at Borders in Rosedale trying to help someone spend a gift card, and saw this package near the register.

I stopped instantly, perplexed. What's a Spamist? I wondered. Someone who really likes Spam? Someone who is prejudiced against Spam?

I suffered even greater confusion for just a split second when I saw the tag line -- "instant aromatherapy" -- thinking it emitted the aroma of Spam. And then it hit me: the label was meant to be read Spa Mist.

No Spam involved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a blog directory and think your blog would be a great addition to the list. If you would like your blog listed here for free visit us here

I like that SPAMist

David Steinlicht said...

Spa Mist. SpaMist. Spamist.

Capitol letters, a space or a change in color would have made all-ll-ll the difference.

I see that the designer used a change in type weight. It wasn't enough.

elena said...

!!! ah, the wafting odors of spam.